New Year’s is an exciting time of year. It is a time for change and for an optimistic outlook on the rest of the year. It is also the time of year that people traditionally make New Year’s resolutions to start the year off well.
Here are some tips that you can start doing right now to help keep those eyes healthy :
- Eat your way to healthier eyes: Did you know that there are five essential nutrients that help promote healthy vision and may reduce the risk of eye disease? Getting those nutrients by eating things such as leafy greens, nuts, and shellfish can protect those eyes of yours. Certain studies have shown that taking an antioxidant or vitamin supplement can reduce the risk of advanced AMD progression and visual acuity loss
- Wear Sunglasses Outdoors: Protect your eyes from harmful UV rays. Make sure you protect your eyes even on cloudy days. Not only does too much UV exposure increase your risk for cataracts and macular degeneration.
- If you smoke: Stop smoking. Nothing needs to be explained.
- Wear Protective Goggles: When playing sports, working around heavy machinery or in an area with a lot of particles in the air, you need protective goggles and/or sports lenses. Your eyes are among one of the most vulnerable spots on your entire body. Don’t take unnecessary risks. Wear protective goggles any time your eyes might be at risk.
- Get an annual eye exam: Getting a basic eye exam can reveal some more serious diseases that may affect more than just your vision. An exam with your eye doctor can potentially uncover hidden medical conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and infections