Our optometrist, Dr. Tracie Inouchi recommends the following tips to reduce digital eye strain.
- Follow the 20-20-20 rule: Take a 20-second break, every 20 minutes and view something 20 feet away.
- Blink often: Decrease the chances of dry eyes when using a computer by making an effort to blink frequently.
- Keep a distance: We recommend sitting at a comfortable distance from the computer monitor where you can easily read all text with your head and torso in an upright posture and your back supported by your chair. Generally, the optimal viewing distance is between 20 and 28 inches from the eye to the front surface of the screen.
- View from a different angle: We feel the computer screen should be 15 to 20 degrees, or about 4 to 5 inches, below eye level as measured from the center of the screen.
- Decrease glare: While there is no way to completely minimize glare from light sources, consider using a glare filter. These filters decrease the amount of light reflected from the screen.
- Get an annual eye exam